Thursday, March 09, 2006

Homeless, One Less in Las Vegas

Norm, I'm sorry I couldn't save you from the streets.

I pray that you are now at peace.

++ March 8, 2006 ++


And then there were seven...

http://activistsinlasvegas.blogspot.com/2006/02/eight-homeless-arrested.html

Addendum:

Dana, I am not offended at all by your question. [Did Norm pass away while in jail?] I think it's important for all of us to be able to ask questions, get information out there, and see how we can prevent these things from happening again. I know it's always going to happen (deaths, abuse, oppression) but at least we can try to minimize (?) it.

I've known Norm for many months now. He was one of the 8 homeless who was arrested for flipping off the marshals when the marshals told them they couldn't eat in the park anymore.

He was at the park almost daily all the months that I knew him. He loved seeing Lyla on Sundays and was always respectful to us. But he had a lot of animosity(??) toward the authority and the system.

Normally I have a feel for who is doing drugs and who is drinking. I thought that Norm mostly had a drinking problem. I didn't realize that it was more serious.

I only had to mention once to him that I would help him get sober. And the next day he said, "Gail, I'm ready." I immediately took him up to Westcare and they told us that they had no beds. I dropped him off at Salvation Army. But I don't think he got in.

Norm passed away on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 from a suspected drug overdose. Toxicology tests will be performed to determine the cause of death.

Yes, I would like to do something like a vigil for Norm. Norm was special as each of them are.

Your ideas and support would be deeply appreciated. I don't think that a yearly vigil for the homeless who have died is enough.

No comments: